- Amazon will invest up to $4 billion in Anthropic.
- The agreement provides Anthropic with access to AWS Cloud Trainium and Inferentia chips. Anthropic will also offer enhanced support of Amazon Bedrock with secure model customization and fine-tuning for businesses.
- The Amazon team will be able to build on top of Anthropic’s state-of-the-art models via Amazon Bedrock to enhance existing applications, and create net-new customer experiences across Amazon’s businesses.
- Training state-of-the-art models requires extensive resources including compute power and research programs, and Amazon’s supply of compute infrastructure alongside other providers will ensure Anthropic is equipped to continue advancing the frontier of AI safety and research.
- As part of the investment, Amazon will take a minority stake in Anthropic.
Amazon is set to invest a whopping $4 billion in Anthropic, marking a significant collaboration aimed at creating the most reliable, high-performing foundation models in the AI industry. This partnership merges Anthropic’s groundbreaking safety research and products with Amazon Web Services’ (AWS) renowned expertise in secure, reliable infrastructure, making advanced, safe, and steerable AI widely accessible to AWS customers.
As part of this alliance, AWS will become Anthropic’s primary cloud provider for crucial workloads, offering access to state-of-the-art compute infrastructure, including AWS Trainium and Inferentia chips. These chips will supplement existing solutions to enhance model training and deployment. The combined knowledge of both entities will expedite the development of future Trainium and Inferentia technology, addressing substantial customer demand for innovative AI solutions like Claude.
The collaboration also extends support for Amazon Bedrock, enabling secure model customization and fine-tuning to optimize Claude’s performance, while mitigating potential harmful outcomes. Developers and engineers from Amazon can leverage Anthropic’s pioneering models through Amazon Bedrock, infusing generative AI capabilities into their work and spawning new customer experiences across Amazon’s vast array of businesses.
Amazon and Anthropic are firmly committed to ensuring the safe training and deployment of advanced foundation models. Both companies are deeply involved in numerous organizations advocating responsible AI development, such as the Global Partnership on AI (GPAI), the Partnership on AI (PAI), and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Amazon’s minority stake in Anthropic will not alter the existing corporate governance structure, with the Long Term Benefit Trust maintaining its guiding role in accordance with Anthropic’s Responsible Scaling Policy.
The substantial investment and technology supply from Amazon will empower Anthropic to push the boundaries of AI safety and research, fostering the responsible scaling adoption of Claude and introducing secure AI cloud technologies globally.
Why This Matters:
This collaboration between Amazon and Anthropic is a monumental stride in AI development, representing an amalgamation of innovation, safety, and scalability. It underlines the growing significance of AI in diverse sectors and emphasizes the need for responsible development and deployment. The partnership is pivotal as it can shape the future trajectory of AI technologies, fostering advancements that are secure, trustworthy, and transformative.